Saturday, April 22, 2017

the world of ideas is also changing

Recently I got to see (hear) author George Saunders, talk about his new book: Lincoln In The Bardo. I made this sketch whilst listening to him. It doesn't really look like him, but, oh well. I really enjoy this kind of work; capturing what people say and the whole combination of text and pictures thing. As part of my work as an illustrator I get to do this. I get to go into places where cameras may not be allowed (eg, prison) and capture what's going on, in sketches and words. It's hard to keep up with people talking so you end up with bits of the conversation. I like to think that the words I do catch are the important ones, but to be honest, I think that is a romantic view of it. More often than not, it's just picking up bits of prosaic conversation. But, I still like that. It's still significant, I guess.
Hmmm, still a romantic view? Look, just read this instead, it's more interesting than anything I can come up with. It's late and I should be in bed.

5 comments:

melydia said...

Lovely! Reminds me a little bit of sketchnoting: http://sketchnotearmy.com/about/

andrea joseph's sketchblog said...

Thank you Kate, I'd never seen the site before but am now hooked!

Lia said...

That's a nice work, only one of the eyes is rare but drawing people who is moving is difficult
Nice your style!

Yabut said...

I recently joined a sketch group and chose to draw a young man across from me. He certainly wasn't one to really hold still so, as you say, it didn't really look like him. But even so, he and several others really liked it. I'll do more of that.

pedalpower said...

Love this!